Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Schwan (18 The Royal Suite)

Well things are looking bad for Lady Juliet now.
And the King could be in trouble as well.
But this isn't quite the end of it, not yet.
So...
Read on if you care to.


18 The Royal Suite


Juliet's cell was known as the "Royal Suite"  It was on the upper level of the prison, yet still below ground level.  It was reserved for prisoners of "distinction".  It's luxuries included a small table and stool, and a bed with a straw mattress.

After she had heard Rathard and his horsemen leave, Lady Juliet sat on the edge of the cot, and watched the light growing in the window above.  Her ribs ached with every breath from where Rathard had kicked her.  Soon she heard another, larger company of horsemen leaving.

There was a noise at the door and the Jailer entered.  He set a pitcher of water and some bread on the table.  The bread was still warm from the ovens.

"My Lady, I'm sorry to have to keep you here," he said apologetically.  "If I can help you... But I think, there is not much I can do."

"You are kind.  What news of my Father, the Duke?"

"What I've heard, which isn't much, is that he won't speak to anyone.  Lord Rathard has taken his place.  But he has ridden out in pursuit of King Fredrik."

"What is your name kind sir?"
"I am called Max, My Lady," he answered.

"Max, would it be possible for the Abbot of St Peter's to come and see me?"
"I'll see what I can do, Milady."


It was sometime later when her cell was opened again.  The Jailer looked unhappy.
"The Archbishop, My Lady."  Then he added in a low voice, "He insisted."

He stood aside and the Archbishop strode into the cell.  Juliet stood up.  She was disappointed.  She had hoped to speak to the Abbot, who she had heard had ties to Midmont.

"Lady Juliet," The Archbishop began, "How unfortunate to find you in such circumstances."

Juliet did not answer.  She detected a certain satisfaction, even gloating in his tone.

The Archbishop walked to the table, lifted the pitcher and sniffed the contents.  He set it down, noting the bread crumbs on the table.

"Ah, bread and water.  Poor fair for a Duchess," then he added, "or a Queen."
When she still didn't answer he began again.

"I know what you and your father were up to.  But now I see that you decided to go it alone.  You betrayed the Duke, only to be double crossed by Fredrik.  And now he's left you alone."
Juliet's cheeks colored in anger.

"You don't know what you're talking about!"

"Don't I ?"

The Archbishop walked slowly around the cell.  He didn't look at her as he spoke.

"Your brother is taking your father's place, of course.  He wanted to lock you down there where we found the Duke.  After all, it is only fair, don't you think?  But I talked him out of it."

Now he looked at her again.  She didn't like the look on his face.

"I was able to convince him to send you, to our convent at Donstrum instead.  There you will be able to do penance for your treacherous deed; and perhaps, save your soul."  
The Archbishop smiled.

"I'll never go with you!"
"Oh, you will," he said.  Then as he left he added, "I will see you tomorrow."

The door slammed shut behind him.

To be continued of course.

From the beginning - Here.

or

One might find the whole story Here.

No comments: