Sunday, November 12, 2006

For Want of a Nail

For want of...............................
It was a nail, a shoe, and more.
In this case more modern stuff, but the principal still holds.
It has been previously told how I was finally forced to face the facts and send my truck to the truck doctors. I had come to the conclusion that the problem lay in the deep recesses of the computer, or processor, as they refer to it. My shade tree lacked the complex and sophisticated equipment necessary to deal with this sort of situation. So, just for the record, after a week or so, the experts concluded the same thing. This is not good. But at least I do have the satisfaction of knowing I was right about it all. When I was at Ft Bragg one time, a drill sergeant gave me this advice, "Always expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed".
Here you can see an exposed brake drum. You may wonder why is this so since this is not the usual thing. This brake drum is part of what was previously referred to as the "tow vehicle". In the days preceeding this doctor visit, (and hospital stay), problems were detected in the braking system of the potential tow vehicle. This could present a danger on the highway as can be easily understood. This could be easily corrected by an adjustment to the brake shoes inside of this brake drum. There is a opening though which one can easily perform this operation but unfortunately when this was attempted the adjuster fell off inside the brake drum. This picture was made during the two days it took to hammer it loose. Eventually the brakes were fixed and the trip was completed. On the return home it was discovered that a leaky fuel line was skeeting gasoline under the tow vehicle. God is merciful.
But the reason I even brought this up, is that the picture reminded me of the other day. Since my real truck has been indisposed, I have been riding to work on the motorcycle. This is not a bad thing in it self since it is my vehicle of choice in reasonable weather any way. But on this fateful morning, as I went to crank the bike, I discovered to my dismay, the tire was flat. Once again the faithful tow vehicle was called into service to save the day. Things were fine until after a longer than usual work day, on the way home, I heard that ominous sound, the flop flop flop of another airless tire.
But life is good. Do you realize what could have happened ? Suppose the brakes had failed when I was towing another truck on the four-lane. Suppose the spewing gasoline had caught fire at 60mph. Suppose this blowout had occurred in that situation. So what do these little annoyances count for any way.

And so not to dwell on troubles any more. Fall is here. the mornings are crisp. The leaves are falling. Life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amazing how many bad things DONT happen, when you think about it... words of wisdom from a true-blue puddleglum.