Sunday, November 26, 2006

Once this was a proud bird, a mighty bird, a magnificent turkey. But now what ? This is all that remains. He was cut down in his prime, never to strut the barnyard again. Never again to incite fear in lesser foul, or young children.
Of course we all realize this particular piece of poultry probably never had the oportunity to engage in any of these popular pursuits amoung turkey-kind. It's a pitty of course. Sometimes we get to see his wild and free counsins in fields arround here. People do try to shoot them but at least they have a chance I guess. Don't get the wrong idea here, I have no reservations about eating turkeys. I think it was Freewheeling Franklin who said it was "OK to eat turkeys 'cause it was God's way of punishing them for being so stupid". Wild turkeys aren't so stupid I hear.
We got a couple "organic" turkeys once. They were quite tasty actually, but also quite expensive. Too expensive. We have raised chickens, also ducks, geese, and some other kind of bird I can't figger out how to spell. We had some muscovy ducks once and man, were they ever mean. But I have no trouble chopping off thier little heads, it's just part of it. We used to make the kids pluck them just for fun. I guess that was mean too. It does smell bad. But we gave all that up for now.
This scene of carnage actually took place at our daughter's place in the Big City. It was really nice of them to have us, and we had a good time eating turkey and other stuff. But they don't raise turkeys either. They keep cats, but none of us eats cats. I think this is probably a good thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, he was a tasty bird. and made great turkey soup, too. It was so nice to see you guys and have some tiem to hang out, chow down, etc.

I doubt Cricket or Macon would be very flavorful, though the dog next doors seems to think otherwise. :)
luv -W

The Lazy Iguana said...

I have a friend who used to haul stuff in big trucks. He informed me that the most horrible smell he encountered was in Arkansas. At a Tyson chicken processing plant.

After hearing the whole story - one thing I NEVER want to do is farm chickens. Or process chickens.

I can not imagine that dealing with turkey is any better.

Anonymous said...

It's the head chopping bit I could never stomach. ;)

Anonymous said...

The head chopping you couldn't handle... hmmm... do I believe that?!? I think it was the warm, wet feathers with the smell drifting through the cool air. And then the little feathers would stick to your finges...