Friday, May 25, 2007

Stopping to Smell the Roses

Years ago, as I walked along the edge of a wood near here, I came upon this wonderful plant. Well, not exactly this one, yet certainly it's ancestor. It looked like a rose out here in the wild. Now I'm not a rose fanatic, or anything like that, but this one intrigued me, so I dug it up, and took it home. Well, from that one tiny rose grew many more. In fact they grew so thick that we were forced at one point, to thin them.

It has this beautiful, simple blossom, and blooms and blooms and blooms. But besides all that, it has the sweetest fragrance of any rose I've seen (or smelled).
I'm often disappointed when I "Stop to Smell the Roses", and there is nothing to smell. But these do not disappoint, and they line our much traveled path to our great enjoyment.

3 comments:

The Lazy Iguana said...

Nice. I have a gardenia plant. It is very fragrant, and looks kind of like a rose. Sort of. The blooms are white, but they turn brown very quickly.

Growing a true rose in FL is possible, but you have to take good care of the plant. Too much work for me.

Jandi for The Fuzz said...

There are a number of roses that grow wild around here. This is one. There are also a bunch that climb in hedges and stuff.

Anonymous said...

LOL... I was just telling someone about the "wall of roses" that used to be on the side of the yard... but then I wonder how much of that was my imagination...