Sunday, May 27, 2007

Up to Mt. Michell

It had been a while, so Saturday I got the Cycle out and took a ride up to the mountains. The weather was pretty good and I wasn't the only one with this idea. I rode up to Mt. Mitchell. As you can see there were plenty of other Bikes up there. There were even more at the restaurant, but I didn't stop there. If you look closely, you can see a dude on a bicycle there in back. There were a lot of them out as well. There seems to be some kind of challenge to riding up to the highest point east of the Rockies for some folks. I appreciate the motor at times like that.
When we were at Grandfather Mt. they made the claim that it was the "Highest Mt. in the Blue Ridge". This confused me a bit. I wasn't sure who's propaganda to believe. Now I realize that Mitchell is actually in the Black Mts, which are a sort of branch off of the Blue Ridge. Mt. Mitchell- 6,684 feet, Grandfather Mt.- a mere 5,964 ft. Any way, after I got there, I went to find the short trail to the top, but all I found was this sign. It seems there are big things afoot on the mountaintop. There was even an artist's rendition of the new Observation Tower. Life's like that sometimes.
Fortunately, the restrooms were open.

3 comments:

The Lazy Iguana said...

Nice. And here I thought Clingmans Dome was the highest point east of the Rockies. But I checked, it is only 6643 feet. This makes it the second highest point. Looks like I have to go back to North Carolina with a good pair of shoes!

Who measures those things anyway?

The highest mountain I have been on so far is Mingus Mountain in Arizona. 8,000 something feet. People hang glide off it.

Jandi for The Fuzz said...

Mt. Mitchell is a piece of cake, you can drive practically to the top.
I don't know how they measure these things, I mean, we're talking 41' here.
Yeah, all the big stuff is in the west.

Anonymous said...

I remember that mountain... didn't we hike it a couple times when we stayed at... Brown (?) mountain.

And.... I dreaming of you taking me for a ride on your bike!!! It's been tooo long. *sigh....