Monday, May 21, 2007

Weekend Fun

It was the Oil Change weekend, and way overdue. I'm bad for putting these things off. I'm bad for putting them off too long. So Rather than being racked by guilt for another week, it was off to the Auto Parts Place. Not only for Truck Oil, but Motor cycle Oil as well. First I took care of the Bike. That wasn't bad, although I did make a mess. After that it was time to move on to the Truck.
Normally, this would simply be a matter of removing the drainplug, (over an appropriate container of course) and changing the easily reached filter. But I had always wanted a 4X4, and this is it. You might notice those steel plates laying there under all the tools. Those are there to protect the oilpan and stuff like that in the unlikely event that this truck gets slammed onto a big rock. They also protect the oil drainplug from being removed. So it was back to the house for more tools. As things progressed, I also discovered that the filter that had been given to me was actually for someone else's truck. So it was back to the Auto Parts Place again.
But now everything is back together and Truck and Motorcycle both have brand new, clean oil.

4 comments:

The Lazy Iguana said...

Cool. I have to start doing my own oil changes now that the auto service coupon book is all used up. No more "free" service that I actually paid for when the truck was new.

It will be easy. The oil filter and drain plug is pretty easy to get to on my truck. I do not think there are any plates to remove. But there may be.

I put some Sea Foam stuff in the crankcase about 250 miles before the last oil change. It is supposed to do something good.

Jandi for The Fuzz said...

Usually foam in the crankcase is a bad thing.

The Lazy Iguana said...

Sea Foam is not foam. But I suspect you already know this.

I poured a can into the gas tank, half a can into the oil, and half a can into the brake booster vacuum line. After pouring it into the brake booster line (into the intake manifold) I killed the engine and let it sit for an hour or so. Started it back up, smoked up the hood pretty good, and then changed the oil about 250 miles later.

The engine should be super clean.

Jandi for The Fuzz said...

Ah yes. Cleans it out, sorta like Ex-Lax.