Monday, April 20, 2020

Cultural Appropriation?

I find myself wondering if this is a case of Cultural Appropriation.

What you see here, may appear to be merely a jar of mayonnaise.


But no.  This is Dukes!

When the Covid-19 panic hit, not only did the toilet paper disappear, but the Dukes!
At my local grocery store, all the other, off brand stuff, was still there.  But the Dukes shelf was picked clean.  People around here know what is an essential.
I'm sure this is common knowledge.  But that is not what this post is concerned with.

Back in the day, we were, for a time, temporarily living in another state.  It was shocking to find that Dukes was not carried by the local super market.
But now, it seems that our Dukes has become more widely available.
While I can appreciate other folks wanting to get in on a good thing, I can't help but wonder if this is a clear case of Cultural Appropriation.

I present as evidence, these two lids taken from Dukes jars.

First the current lid.

Now a more traditional one.
(although it is plastic - I apologize, but it was all that was available)

Notice a difference?

In another time, Dukes was the secret of "Great Southern Cooks".
Whereas now, simply, "Great Food".

What is going on here?
Does this mean that even yankees are being privileged with our Dukes?
Where will this end?
Will they be dipping Tube Rose in Seattle?

Well, I suppose it would be wrong to begrudge folks enjoying a superior product.  But lets admit, that we are dealing with a clear case of Dukes Appropriation here.

Be sweet y'all,
𝕵𝖆𝖓𝖉𝖎


No comments: