Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Waiting It Out



Being "socially distanced", with a stay-at-home order in NC, one has plenty of time to waste.  So I spend too much time wondering about my mild symptoms.  Is this runny nose just a cold, or pollen?  Or am I actually about to die?  And what about this persistent cough?  Of course in saner times, these things would only be an inconvenience.  I bought one of those fancy digital thermometers.  If anything, my temp is on the low side.

I try not to get paranoid.  Really, I'm no longer an essential worker, so I do stay home, except to venture out for supplies, necessities, like food… and of course, beverages.  

This is a mostly rural county.  I live close enough to walk into town if I wanted to.  But this place is hardly a thriving metropolis.  Of course the "thriving metropolises" these days are having a pretty hard time of it.  Guess it's too many people in one place.  Anyhow, I never have liked crowds that much.

I live by myself here.  I miss being able to go into town for a beer.  Sure I can drink one at the house, I have, and will do so again.  But it's just not the same as being around people.  There have been times in my life when I thought being a hermit would be nice.  I came to realize that I really miss people, even when I'm only sitting back and watching.  I'm not a hermit.

Really, there's not much I can do about all this.  I think that sooner or later we'll all be exposed to this stuff.  Maybe it won't kill me when it happens… but then, maybe it will.  For now, we'll just have to wait it out.

Hang in there, y'all…

𝕵𝖆𝖓𝖉𝖎

1 comment:

Woodie said...

Now you can check on those sniffles and know you're not running a fever. With the pollen and seasonal allergies, it's hard to tell what's what. It does make a person wonder. take care, hopefully, if we all are cautious, if we do eventually get 'it', the services will be in place to help more than they are now. Things are still getting sorted out.