Monday, February 19, 2007

Garbagical Historical

Back then, before my own involvement incineration was the going thing. This was a state of the art facility in that bygone era. I can only guess that in those more innocent times, hazardous, choking, fumes were not a major concern. As one can see, this facility is no longer in use.
There are places these days where, I hear, they burn the trash to make electricity. This was not that sort of place. This must have been a fairly common arrangement back then. I remember going with my father to a similar facility in another town. They would push the garbage down through a hole in the floor. It made me think of Hell. But that was years ago.
Here is a closer look at what's left of the guts of this thing. I suppose in it's day, this spot contained it's own bit of Hell. Not today however, it was a cold day when I visited.
There are all those ruins in Greece, and Rome that people go to see. We have our own here, although they don't seem to
have as much class. But they are a lot closer. I sometimes wonder what future generations might think about our debris. Of course, this place might be a cinder by then anyway.

Next time we'll look at equipment.

4 comments:

The Lazy Iguana said...

There is a garbage burning facility in South Florida. I do not think it worked out so great. It is a costly way to produce electricity, because of all the stuff needed to scrub the gases. But it saves space in the landfill. So it is a trade off.

The ruins in Greece are thousands of years old. The fact they are still standing is amazing. I doubt anything we build today will last nearly as long.

Neat post.

Anonymous said...

this reminds me of the little burn pile in the backyard that we "inherited" from the previous owners, i guess. It was a ton of fun to sift through it gingerly looking for cool antique glass bottles and the like. I don't know if that was a burn pile or just a dump pile, now that I think about it... Did it just fade away or did someone eventually clean it up?

All i remember is it disappeared around the same time the blackberry bushes in the back yard did... and the back-back yard began to blend in with the bak yard...

Mom had some of the prettiest bottles in the kitchen window. Pretty artifacts.

Jandi for The Fuzz said...

W- A lot of that has been cleaned up, but if you dig, you can still find stuff.

Anonymous said...

I guess that uis as it should be... something left for someone else to find. :)