Thursday, February 15, 2007

No Coal

This is the Coal Yard. So where is the coal ? That's what I want to know. I've been watching all winter, wanting to pick up a load of that unPC, greenhouse gassing, smelly old house warming fuel. It's dirty, but it burns so hot. You can leave what you don't burn outside, and it won't rot till next year, or many years. But there is no coal. When I stop by, the gate is locked. When I call on the telephone all I hear is an answering thing, promising to call me back, a promise never kept. At one time there was a mountain of coal under this machinery, now, zip.
A lot of people think burning coal stinks. Maybe it does. But somewhere in the back of my mind, a whiff triggers something. Something I can almost remember, but I'm not sure. Something out of the past. Something about Railroads and the Big City, and a River. Maybe it's lost now.
But it sure makes that stove feel good on a cold night.

2 comments:

The Lazy Iguana said...

Coal stinks. A wood fire is a lot nicer if you ask me. All crackly and stuff. Coal may not rot if left out in the weather, but a wood pile will remain intact for a year if protected from water. And termites. And carpenter ants.

Jandi for The Fuzz said...

All true, We use the coal for an occasional boost. I do think it has it's "dark side". Maybe here's a bit of attraction in that.