Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Gang aft a-gley

This is a '64 Chevy Truck Transmission. A 4 Speed, even. The other stuff is not the subject here. Many years ago this tranny had been grafted into a '53 Chevy Truck. It was a nice combination, lots of low end torque and all that. But one day, disaster struck, as it seems want to do, and this classic bit the dust. I was saddened by this, of course, but did not despair. After a time, I located a '70 model that seemed to fit in the budget. It was a rust-bucket of course, and had a 3 speed transmission that was prone to jump out of 1st gear. But, having swapped transmissions and even engines out under the old Oak Tree, I thought "no problem". I had this functioning 4 speed and the change would result in an even better truck. Alas, after I had removed the faulty member, I realized with dismay, that the shifter would come up though the firewall, instead of the floorboard.
Now, years later, the '70 Chevy is history, but the transmission remains. I suppose someday we will haul it to the scrap-yard. I'm so lucky to be married to an understanding woman.

No comments: