Monday, September 22, 2008

Pianoforte Cont. The Plan

The first part of The Plan involved getting there.
That was the easy part. Now lets get a look at the rest of it. And yes, it did "involve rope, pulleys, and an inclined plane"

Simply carrying the thing up the stairs was considered. But not for long. Besides the stairs being too narrow, all the weight would be on the poor guys with the rear end of it. But just about anything can be done with the right approach.
Since the thing could be rolled easily with the dolly, The Fuzz decided to "roll" it up the stairs. A sheet of plywood was halved which would provide more than enough "ramp" to make it all the way to the top.
That is, could be rolled easily on level ground. Up this slope was another thing. The Fuzz had an old Block, made from a lawnmower wheel and scrap wood. This was left over from a previous Well Digging project, but was just the thing for this.
There was 100ft of rope available, more than enough to double though the block. And enough "Muscle" anticipated to handle things.
Tying it off on the railing was out of the question though, but The Fuzz figured it could be looped back below the deck and secured to the stairs themselves.
It seemed like a good plan, a workable plan. But
as my old Drill Sargent told me once, "Always expect the wost, and you'll never be disappointed". And if I am not mistaken, there is something written somewhere about the "Plans of Mice and Men". Even a good plan is only a plan. But would it work ?

To be continued..........

2 comments:

The Lazy Iguana said...

I am the master!!!!

I knew it! As soon as I saw the stairs and the word "piano" I though of simple machines.

I used to teach science. I know the simple machines. There are 6 of them

inclined plane, wheel and axle, screw, lever, pulley, and wedge

I would argue that the screw and wedge is just a variation of the inclined plane, and the pulley is just a variation of the wheel and axle.

So clearly, what you needed to do was turn the stairs into an inclined plane, then add a pulley.

You could have used a lever too. I would have. I have a lever with a ratchet gear, so I could have moved the whole mess solo. It would have taken longer however.

As a brother in the order of the pick up truck - I have been called on for many a moving mission.

Jandi for The Fuzz said...

L- We had lots of "Manpower" (and "Womanpower" available.