Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Dinner Guests

I like to keep some sunflower seeds out for the birdies. They're fun to watch, and it gives the kitties something to do besides eat and sleep. Just this evening as I was replenishing their stash, I noticed the tell tale scarlet feathers there on the ground. I think that's pretty low down, eating our State Bird and all. But cats are indeed, evil. I used to fill up with those "Wild Bird Seed" mixes. But the little creeps would throw most of the stuff out on the ground to get to the sunflower seeds. It kinda pissed me off to be honest about it. True, the doves would eat the seed off the ground, ( a dangerous thing to do ) but I hated watching it happen. Finally I realized I could just use straight sunflower seeds and there would be lots less waste.
You may have noticed that in this recent photo there are no birdies. It would seem one of the other neighbors has crashed the party. I'm not sure I like this. I mean, he (or she) is all furry and cute, but is no birdie. The eats are not in the tree, but actually hanging between tree and domicile. Apparently they are within squirrel jumping range. I thought about shooting this critter. In my youth I would fry them and eat 'em. But my sweetie refuses to get involved in that sort of thing. She says they're just a rat with a furry tail. She may have a point. In some circumstances I might eat a rat, but not today. I reckon if I wait a little bit, he'll either get run over, or ate by a cat.

No comments: