Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Keep it Clean








The view from the top, or at least of the top. One of the joys of wood heat is chimney maintenance. I guess that's what you would call it. Here is the "chimney" and the brush. Sorry there is no beautiful fieldstone masonry here, but that's just the way it is. Just a tin smoke pipe. Actually it's a sophisticated, triple walled steel chimney pipe that was donated by a friend many years ago. There should be some sort of cap thingy to keep the rain out, but as long as there is fire below, it would be redundant. In the summer, when no fire needed, an old pot does the trick. Sort of low tech, but, effective. The other object ( other than the roof itself ) is of course, the brush. On occasion, when one opens the door of the heater to tend the fire, or get rid of some trash, ( there can be any number of reasons ) more smoke exits via the door than the smoke pipe. In this situation it is time to become the Chimney Sweep. I'm afraid I don't have one of those cool hats like Mary Poppins friends, but I can get a bit sooty if I try. I don't know if good luck rubs off and all, but so far I haven't fallen off the roof, which must count for something.

No comments: