Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Closer Look

It was at the end of the week at work, and we were cleaning up the trucks, and taking care of some loose ends and all. A couple of the trailers had some "solid waste" on them. "Solid waste" is junk that people dump out on the side of the street. Actually, we're not really supposed to pick this up, but of course if we didn't, no one else would. But I digress again. In consolidating this stuff we came upon one of those big, high dollar TVs, or rather, what was left of one. In the process of manhandling this thing, it was discovered that it contained three of these cool, big ass lenses. I guess I'm just one of those people who if they have a little time, and a pocket knife, are gonna take something apart. Besides all that, I have a thing for big ass lenses. Over the years I have found that the lenses out of old projectors make incredible magnifiers, and these things were huge. And so, an accomplice and I went to work. We each got our own cool, big ass lense, and even had an extra to give to the guy in the shop. Us old guys have a bit of trouble with the fine print these days.
But is this cool or what ? I already set fire to some leaves with it. I don't like to toast ants, it seems cruel somehow. Maybe it would be OK with fire ants though, they deserve it. Mostly, I just carry the thing around and look at stuff.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boys and their toys.. ;)

Anonymous said...

checkin' for afids ????

The Lazy Iguana said...

Nice find! Those were expensive high quality lenses when the TV was new. They are still expensive high quality lenses.

It must be fun to get a chance to take a pick axe to stuff like this from time to time.