Thursday, April 26, 2007

It's Da' Bomb

Once again it was Burrito Night. The beans were mashed, the tortillas ready, all the little bits prepared. The table was set out on the porch for outdoor dining. Yet when I reached for the Tabasco, it was gone. This was not good. How can one eat a burrito without something hot to tickle the taste buds ? Somehow we had run out of Tabasco. Burritos without Tabasco are still nutritious, but lack that certain something, you might say they're not so hot.
But then I remembered, there, covered with dust was "Da' Bomb". Oldest Daughter is a world traveler. She visited The Big Easy long ago before Katrina worked the place over and brought me this little bottle of "Da' Bomb". I suppose, since I consider "Texas Pete" to be little more than Fortified Ketchup, she decided to fix my wagon, as they say. I was told to carefully take a speck of this stuff on the tip of a toothpick, and touch it to my tongue. Fortunately, I resisted my macho impulses and followed her direction. It was a good thing. This stuff makes Pepper Spray seem harmless. I once used some in a bowl of Pintos, and foolishly used almost a whole drop.
But this was an emergency, so I blew the dust off, and took a chance. The secret is to use very little, just a touch stirred in with a toothpick is plenty. And it worked. My Burrito was muy sabroso.
And this morning I was reminded again of that wonderful meal, several times.

4 comments:

The Lazy Iguana said...

I like habnero peppers. They are pretty hot. Some say they are the hottest of all the peppers. But they also have a flavor to them.

But Scotch Bonnet peppers are also hot. I have had Jamaicans tell me that in a stew, you throw the whole scotch bonnet pepper in and hope it does not break open. Enough of the hot leaks out to give it kick. You have to fish the pepper out with a spoon, because you do not want to poke any holes in the thing.

Datil peppers are also good. They are plenty hot.

Anonymous said...

ha ha!
they ought to sell that stuff in little vials to underscore it's potency... who could use a bottle that size in 3 lifetimes?

:)

Decoder Girl said...

LOL... this makes me think of you you and mom eating peppers that make you hic up and cry!!! Silly you guys.

Jandi for The Fuzz said...

I guess it's just hard to explain to a non connoisseur