Sunday, June 10, 2007

Back in the Mountains

Last week I took a day off work for a ride up to the mountains. One needs to use those vacation days when one can. I had hoped to make it up to Glendale Springs to see the Frescoes. That is a pretty good ride from here, and I tend to take the less direct route on a Bike. So I didn't quite make it all the way up there. But I did have a fine ride, which was the point, after all.
This is Grandfather Mt. as seen from the Parkway. It was cold up there. Once I got up the mountain, I had to stop and put on my gloves. A little while later, (and higher) I had to put the liner in my jacket.
I believe I've mentioned the Parkway before. (More from the Top, May 29, 2007, Label- Motorcycles) Since I was mostly interested in the actual ride, I got off, and hit US 221 near Grandfather Mt. and rode it toward Blowing Rock. This road was made for Bikes, it winds though the woods along the side of the mountain, and no 45mph speed limit. Here's one huge bolder that hangs over the road. You have to stop if you want to admire the scenery, 'cause you don't want to take your eyes off the road. I got back on the Parkway near Blowing Rock and rode north about another hour. This wasn't far from the planned destination, but time was slipping away, so I turned around and headed for home.


For all the fans of this young critter, he seems to want to get in there with the big kids now, but he's going to have to do a bit better with the litter box thing, if he wants to stay in the house.

1 comment:

The Lazy Iguana said...

I love the mountains in NC. They are just great. Nothing like that anywhere close to me. Unless the landfill counts as a mountain. I say it does not count.

The critter will get better with the box. He probably has trouble climbing into the thing. Cats naturally prefer a litter box to anything else.

He will have to be fixed at 6 - 8 months of age.