Sunday, June 17, 2007

Quiet Days


Pretty much of a quiet day here at home. Talked to some of the Young'uns via visit and phone. Made a pot of coffee and fried a few eggs for breakfast. Rode over to Wally World in search of bicycle tires. My Sweetie's tires were, as it were, tired. These things were 30 yrs, if a day, all cracked and rotten, in short, history. And besides all that, they leaked. Old tires is one thing, but old leaky tires is another entirely. Hence my trip to Wally World.
It's confession time, I'm ashamed to admit, I have a prejudice against the place. Once, the security people chased my out in the parking lot and insisted I return to the store for to watch a tape of me stealing stuff. When it all was sorted out, it was someone else that was stealing stuff. I was just a little hot. I know it is wrong to hold a grudge, and I repent, but I still prefer not to go there.
I was looking for big round things, shaped roughly like bicycle tires, but couldn't find any. They did have bicycle tire tubes though. As I sadly studied those tubes, I realized some of the boxes actually contained rolled up bicycle tires. I didn't realize you could do that to a tire and expect it to still function properly. But my satisfaction was guarantied was it not ? so I took the plunge. It would seem that when the tires are unrolled, it is possible to use them on a bicycle, and here is another job well done.
And now it was time for dinner. The charcoal bag has been empty for a while now, so I have been using some of the stuff that falls out of the trees in the yard. Oddly enough, this seems to be an improvement. The real fire gives that wonderful campfire like taste to the meal, and it saves some money too. Well it's back to work again tomorrow.

2 comments:

The Lazy Iguana said...

I just got a new stainless steel BBQ grill for the boat. It is small. But due to safety concerns charcoal or any other open fire is out. So I have to settle for propane. Do not want to set that fiberglass hull on fire!

The mounts hold the BBQ grill over the side of the boat. Any drippings fall into the sea.

If I want a smoke flavor I can put some wood chips soaked in water into this "flavor box" thing that came with the grill. It is a stainless steel box thing that fits under the grill cooking surface.

Your little grill is a whole lot simpler. And probably cooks better. I prefer a natural wood / charcoal fire myself, but safety first.

Jandi for The Fuzz said...

I've heard of that kind of grill for a boat. If I had a boat I'd get one. It looks like if you have trouble you could just Deep Six it. Actually we have a canoe, but there's not much point in a grill for it.