Friday, June 29, 2007

The Old Grind

I like my coffee, I admit it. But In the interest of "Health", I have cut back. A lot. But sometimes it's just too good to pass up. Camping is one of those times. And if you only drink it "on occasion" you want "good" stuff. And isn't the "good" stuff freshly ground ? So when the Camping Catalogue came, (lots and lots of catalogues come) and I saw this Cordless Coffee Grinder, I was a sucker. Big time. I mean, how could I pass up a chance to have fresh ground coffee out in the wilderness ? Sure, you can always smash the beans between a couple rocks, but wouldn't that make it kinda gritty ? Why, you may ask, would I be so particular when I was only gonna throw it into my old enamel percolator and boil the fool out of it ? But I'm like that sometimes.
Back there, behind all the smoke, is my camping coffee pot. But the subject under discussion is this camping Coffee Grinder. This is an ingenious little device. One removes the crank and top cover, and fills the little hopper with aromatic coffee beans. Then, the cover and crank are replaced, and the freshly ground coffee accumulates in a special compartment in the handle. Sounds simple enough, and it is a simple low-tech apparatus.
Back at the house, I have a cool little electrical Coffee Grinder. A friend gave me this years ago, and it still dependably grinds my coffee beans, in spite of My Sweetie using it to grind all kinds of weird things in it. And it does all this in about 10 seconds. But of course, you have to plug it in.
But this wonderful Camping Coffee Grinder does not need the power grid. It also does not grind my coffee in 10 seconds. Nor does it grind my coffee in 10 minutes. Maybe 20, on a good day.
But it does work. And the coffee is good, though maybe the wait has something to do with that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DOug says, "sign me up!"