Monday, February 04, 2008

Situations

We are so glad to have water once again. Unfortunately, with plumbing, come plumbing situations. And they do come.
Now that there was water in the pipes, it began seeking ways to escape. It found one at the kitchen sink. This was not an emergency or anything, since it was only escaping when the water was running. But it needed to be taken care of.
One of the Fuzz's mottos is, "I can fix that, let me get my tools". So he got them. Being in the line of work he is, he had a duplicate to the plumbing fixture in question. Of course it wasn't exactly new, but all the parts were there. And so, he tore into this, to see if the guts were worth fooling with, or if a trip to the Home Improvement Center was to be his fate. Here we can see all the stuff he found in there.
He became convinced that the main problem was a worn out "O" ring. But rather than removing it and risk tearing it up, he decided to just swap out that whole piece. It worked fine.
Buoyed by this success, he decided to try some additional repairs. Unfortunately, these became somewhat more complex, involving switching "O" rings, and the spouts themselves in various combinations. But eventually, he lucked onto an arraignment that worked, and now we have a non-leaky faucet, and, without the Home Improvement Center Experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

now which one of them thar pieces is the gizzard?

Anonymous said...

very handy.

we need to replace our kitchen faucet, too. those one handle/knob versions are always developing leaks..

The Lazy Iguana said...

My motto is "I can break that even more! Let me get my tools".

Seriously, I either fix the item in question or downgrade it from "broken" to "destroyed". Trips to the home improvement store usually involves multiple trips because I forget stuff, do not get enough stuff, break stuff I just bought, or miscalculate and cut stuff too short.