Monday, August 20, 2007

Art-O-Mat

We took a trip to The Big City over the weekend. This was for the 10th Anniversary and Swap Meet of the Art-O-Mat people. Artistic Big City Daughter and My Sweetie both are involved in this phenomenon. [I tried to set up the link to the Artomat stuff, maybe I did it right, maybe not.]
Sometimes they let me tag along on these things. I did bring my camera, so as to take advantage of the Photo Opportunities. This is a look at some of the affair. The various Artists put their stuff out on these tables and get to look at all the other people's stuff. Here is the stuff My Sweetie and Artistic Big City Daughter brought. The little boxes are the actual Artomat stuff. How it all works is they make some sort of "Art", which can be in just about any medium. But it has to fit into some kind of arrangement the size of a cigarette pack. Because that is what the Artomat is, a retired cigarette vending machine, called back into service to make "Art" available to the masses. So if you ever run up on what appears to be a cigarette machine in a bar or something, it may just be one of these things. You should buy something of course, so My Sweetie can get paid, and maybe, buy me some beer.
But, this is a Swap Meet, so there has to be some swapping. The artists check out the other stuff and often trade each other one of their boxes or what ever. They also have the opportunity to show some of their other stuff and maybe sell something. This is open to the public, after all, they let me in, didn't they ? It's not easy to live as a starving artist. There was stuff for the kids of course. It's always a good idea to keep them occupied in these situations. And they had Refreshments, to keep me occupied.


I really liked this fish. My understanding is that it was printed directly off the real fish. Is that cool or what. I guess they had to keep it cool, maybe on ice. I wonder it they cooked it after the art episode. It's modeling career couldn't have lasted long, and it would be a pity to waste a perfectly good fish. But this prepared me for the next part of out visit to The Big City.

2 comments:

The Lazy Iguana said...

That is a cool idea. Sell art from an old cigarette vending machine. Nifty. That really is a great cool idea. In the right place, such a machine could vend a lot of art.

Anonymous said...

he he - sneaky! I know what comes next, i think!