Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Joyless Stick

This is supposed to be the "Joy Stick". Long ago, [Thursday, February 22, 2007, (Really Getting Into This)] there were a series of posts, on garbage and related things. So I won't get into all that here, but....
This is a "Joy Stick". Why they call it that, I can't say. Because I don't know. However it is necessary for the successful completion of this important operation. If it doesn't work, you are SOL, as they say.
After a recent absence, I resumed my place as an important cog in the mighty workings of modern civilization. As I prepared to engage the first of many trash receptacles, I noticed that this important control was loose in my grip. My first thought was "Rats", or some equivalent. I soon determined that a slight twist, would retighten it. This was good, since it eliminated a return to the shop to annoy the mechanics. After a successful day, and another job well done, I did annoy the mechanics, and one did correct this problem. But....
The next day, as I went out on my appointed rounds, I found that the red button, (visible in the illustration) had no effect. This red button is supposed to make the machine pack up, or rather, "compact" the refuse. This is necessary because if it doesn't happen you won't get very far. Fortunately there is another control for this function, and since the yellow and green buttons did work, the job could still be done. So after another successful day, I once again annoyed the mechanics. But...
This morning I was informed that in the effort to repair this seemingly small problem, this component had been destroyed, and thus rendered useless. But we are prepared for these situations. So the old reliable was once again pulled out of retirement, and with real people swinging on the back, we sallied forth on our mission. New parts were ordered (mucho dinero), things looked hopeful. But....
I hate to say it, but the parts shipped, were not the parts needed, so tomorrow will be more of the same.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So they keep enough staff around for this sort of thing? Or are some of the guys pulling double shifts to make up the time? Guess it's like power windows. it's great, till it quits working ad you need to roll down the window. Or you're about to go through the car wash and the window won't go back up.... :0

Jandi for The Fuzz said...

As of today, out of 7 trucks, there is only 1 without some sort of mechanical issue. And it's the oldest one.

Anonymous said...

classic!

Anonymous said...

That electronic stuff is always breaking... frustrating i bet.